It carries out its missions within the framework of the law of Interprofessions dated 10th July 1975. It is under the administrative supervision of the Ministry of Agriculture and Finance. Certain decisions taken at the heart of the BNIA by the two families (production and negotiant) – the interprofessional agreements – are, after approval and extension by the two Ministries concerned, legally authorised and apply to all (quality control, monitoring of vintages…).
The BNIA’s missions cover different areas:
- Provide technical and practical assistance to all of the professionals,
- Carry out all possible studies and research concerning the production and commercialisation of Armagnac Eaux-de-Vie and more widely, gather economic, technical and statistical information (permanent monitoring of the market and production…), necessary for the professionals,
- Control the quality of the Eaux-de-Vie produced and for sale and ensure that the Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée rules are being adhered to,
- Carry out the collective promotion of Armagnac.
- Carry out the actions assigned by the supervising Ministries, particularly in terms of regulations.