Almost 400 years ago, the Sazerac family had established vineyards and a distillery in the Cognac region. In 1782, Bernard Sazerac de Forge then founded the Cognac House that bears his name, bringing together under a single commercial banner his family’s long-standing but disparate vineyard holdings and distilleries. In celebration of this historical finding and the 2016 acquisition of Sazerac’s own cognac estate and distillery, the Sazerac Company is relaunching Sazerac de Forge & Fils “Finest Original” Cognac.
The Sazerac de Forge & Fils “Finest Original” Cognac has its roots in the original Sazerac de Forge et Fils Cognac, part of the illustrious 17th, 18th and 19th century Sazerac family business empire which included a cognac house, an iron foundry, paper-mills and pottery-making. Each of these businesses were history-making because of the Sazerac de Forge family – the U.S. Revolutionary Navy was armed with Sazerac provided cannons, the Tsars of Russia were able to print their bank notes on Sazerac made paper, the proprietary color “Sazerac Blue,” prominently featured on the new cognac package, was found on chinaware shipped worldwide, and the original Sazerac Cocktail made with Sazerac Cognac was sipped in coffee houses around New Orleans. Ironically, the original Sazerac Coffee House was located a mere 350 yards from the new Sazerac House, located on Canal and Magazine Street in New Orleans.
Indeed, by 1833 Sazerac de Forge & Fils was listed among the top six cognac producers in the world and by the mid-1800s it would be available on every continent. Sazerac de Forge & Fils Cognac continued to grow until the catastrophic Phylloxera blight wiped out 85% of the grapevines in France in the final quarter of the century. As a result, supplies of cognac became increasingly rare and many producers disappeared completely.
Today, the descendants of Bernard Sazerac still live in the paper-mill on the estate he purchased in 1781 in the hamlet of Forge, situated just a few kilometers from Angoulême at Mouthiers-sur-Boëme. It was the purchase of this estate that entitled Bernard Sazerac to add the noble suffix “de Forge” to his name; the property’s splendid 60 acre gardens – granted “Jardin Remarquable” status by the French Ministry of Culture - are now open to the public.
Bernard’s paper-mill with its water wheel can be seen on the label of Sazerac de Forge & Fils “Finest Original” Cognac. Each bottle is adorned with a blue ribbon – a tribute to the creation of the unique “Sazerac Blue” colour by the family.
Sazerac de Forge & Fils Sazerac